6 Appointments, 1 Million Emails and 11,203 Steps: Elizabeth’s NYFW Diary

Elizabeth Tamkin NYFW Diary Man Repeller September 2018

7:30 a.m.

7:51 a.m.

I am so tired. I was up last night thinking about the day ahead of me and trying to strategize so it would run as efficiently as possible. You want to time your arrival at presentations (they usually run 2 + hours) so you’re not randomly in midtown waiting or having to run to a show across town. I realize that if I go to my first, the Paula Mendoza presentation and breakfast around 10, I’ll be right on track for my second appointment. This is a relief because I want to polish the shopping links and bars in Emily’s story going up today called “6 Instagram Accounts Making Me Excited to Get Dressed” because it deserves excellent market.

8:48 a.m.

I just got lost in my emails. I woke up to 84 after getting my inbox down to 12 last night. Most of these are show confirmations or PR teams requesting that someone from our team attends their event. Our team is small, so we try to divide and conquer efficiently. I usually take on new or small brands that I am excited about and they usually fall on the first and second days of NYFW. I haven’t even thought about what I’m going to wear today (that’s a lie, I made it up in my head but no saying it will come out the way I envisioned).

9:07 a.m.

I’m getting dressed. It did not come out the way I envisioned it.

9:32 a.m.

Got dressed and it took longer than I expected. I am consciously wearing a sheer nightgown. I feel uninspired and confused about what to wear because it is muggy and hot today. Nonetheless, I am going to use my wool Atelier Mimii bag because it adds color and excitement to my outfit.

9:51 a.m.

Starling calls me about engineers being at the office to do a scheduled check while I’m walking to the train. I am also the office manager at MR so a near full day away from the office is difficult for me. I feel responsible for the day-to-day.

10:22 a.m.

I arrive at the Paula Mendoza presentation and catch Paula at a slow moment. The walk there was so hot I cannot believe it’s September.

Paula personally walks me through the full collection. It is designed for Cano Jewelry which she tells me is the oldest jewelry house in Colombia. There are colored resin oversized earrings, which are new for her, along with her signature oversize gold statement pieces. I really think big earrings are making their way back to center stage. She hands me a little box with gorgeous frog earrings inside from the new collection and I put them on.

11 a.m.

Now in NoMad, I punctually arrive at the Mercedes Salazar presentation, another accessories line with a Colombian background. I am presented the collection by the designer herself and, as you’d expect from the brand, there are gigantic colorful earrings and crowns dangling from the set. Also woven straw bags! I love the bags.

11:47 a.m.

I get to the Man Repeller office and I unpack the many packages and garment bags laying by my desk. I sit down to do market requests for an upcoming shoot while I prematurely stuff lunch in my mouth. I usually get around 20 emails in an hour during fashion week but with a shoot coming up, my back and forth with PR requests doubles that email load.

12:55 p.m.

1:31 p.m.

The show begins with seven young children who ultimately sit down and produce another layer of soothing music. The models follow them dressed in tie-dye bike shorts, capris, cut-up tees, capes and — most noticeably — all wearing Teva sandals.

1:42 p.m.

The show ends and we get up. I go over across the runway to Reese and Molly Blutstein to say hi. They’re friends of Man Repeller and Reese and I often DM about smush-y faced dogs. I’m so overheated and they both look cool as a cucumber. How!?

1:48 p.m.

I meet Imani outside the office to take the 6 train to the Mara Hoffman presentation on 5th Avenue and 18th Street. I am welcomed by Erica who does her PR. Per the program, the show is “in dedication to letting go, letting our grief and broken parts be loved and learned and then buried back into the earth, reabsorbed to grow again as something new.”

2:41 p.m.

Imani and I finally arrive back at the office — we took a cab. I am back at my computer linking stories that go live tomorrow and answering PR emails. Someone sent us two giant rainbow cookies with nutella in the middle, and they look like the best dessert ever.

3:37 p.m.

I am headed over to the Hunting Season presentation at Café Altro Paradiso on the West Side. I didn’t realize it was on Spring Street and therefore would be a 15-minute walk of pure late-summer sweat.

3:49 p.m.

4:07 p.m.

I buy an apple and eat it while I walk back to the office, a practice which always feels weird to me. I feel like I am taking my shoes off in public.


I am back at office and I realize the Ulla Johnson show is at 5 rather than 5:30 which eliminates the time I thought I’d have to run to my apartment (conveniently across the street from the venue) and change my sweaty clothes. I am finishing emails before I head out to my final event of the day. I’ll be right back where I started in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

5:01 p.m.

I’m in my Uber and I suddenly feel like I lost something. I check my phone and realize that an appointment deleted from my calendar and I missed one of the events I was most excited to go to, Christopher John Rogers. I immediately go to Instagram to see what I missed. There were satin wrap tops the color of clementines, feather accessories, contrasting print dresses, an incredible pink dress with tiered ruffles and stand-out hats — one which is probably as tall as I am — that flooded my feed. I email the PR team asking if I can attend a re-see — something many editors do if they miss or cannot attend an event — once the craziness of their week simmers down. I want to kick myself! That hat!


View this post on Instagram


A post shared by DIAMOND (@diamondmahone) on

5:15 p.m.

Traffic at the exit to Williamsburg was typical — a nightmare. I ran into our street style photographer, Simon outside of show. We chatted. My phone’s at 3%.

5:18 p.m.

I am sitting here at my seat eagerly awaiting Harling’s arrival. I am in awe of the ceiling as I stare up inside the Williamsburg Savings Bank. I text Harling to see if she can take photos for me in the event my phone inevitably dies. The inside of the bank is grand and gorgeous even without the decorations for the show but those include wicker and straw totems in the middle of the runway.

5:46 p.m.

My phone died. BUT, up until it died, I photographed some looks. We witnessed a plethora of prairie dresses, pinafores, lamé dresses and jumpsuits, and crochet bib tops not unlike one I inherited from my grandmother. The sleeve details appeared to be woven for armature, similar to the bags many models held. The best part was Harling got there right before it started and we held hands the entire time! Just kidding. But we sat cheek to cheek.

And that’s a wrap with a total of 11,203 steps according to my Steps app. I’m currently seconds from the shower and ready to order a big plate of Thai food. Tomorrow’s an early day. Until next time!

Feature photo by Simon Chetrit

More from Archive