Are you familiar with the feeling of secondhand embarrassment? Unsure? If you happened to watch the MTV VMAs last night like I did, then you most definitely do. Save for maybe 15 minutes of air time, my face was alternating between one of these three Britney reaction gifs for the remaining 165.
A measly 27 minutes in, I felt an overwhelming urge to turn off all the lights, hide under my covers and pretend none of it ever happened. But that would mean waking up at 3:30 a.m. unable to fall back asleep so I powered through. Is MTV drunk? Am I officially too old for this? It’s likely a combination of both, so let’s relive it all in condensed form, shall we?
THE VERY AWKWARD
1. Katy Perry in general.
— MTV (@MTV) August 28, 2017
It may be time to take a cue from 2016’s VMAs and forgo having a host. RT if you agree.
3. Ed Sheeran’s reaction to Shawn Mendes'(😍) performance.
August 27, 2017 was the day I officially became a Shawn Mendes fan and Ed Sheeran knows it.
4. Taylor Swift’s new music video for “Look What You Made Me Do.”
Same, Taylor. Same.
5. Lorde interpretive dancing to a track of her singing “Homemade Dynamite” instead of actually singing “Homemade Dynamite.”
A for effort but I’m pro taking a sick day. Feel better!
6. Fifth Harmony still only having four people in it.
They threw someone off the stage, though, in case you forgot how to count.
7. Jack Antonoff casually eating this banana.
8. MTV cutting to a commercial in the middle of Julia Michael’s performance.
9. MTV cutting to a commercial in the middle of KYLE’s performance.
10. MTV cutting to a commercial in the middle of the tribute to Linkin Park’s Chester Bennington.
Noticing a pattern here.
11. Jared Leto having to ask everyone to stand a second time for the aforementioned tribute.
Jeb flashbacks, S.O.S.
12. Did I mention Katy Perry?
13. This fun little thing Miley Cyrus put together for us.
14. The camera cutaways to Ellen DeGeneres in the audience.
We were all Ellen last night.
15. The crew literally leaving Katy Perry hanging at the end of her “Swish Swish” performance.
— Typical Girl (@SoDamnTrue) August 28, 2017
A fitting metaphor for the show as a whole. Shut. It. Down.
THE NOT-AT-ALL AWKWARD
Kendrick Lamar in general, Gucci Mane wearing all the Gucci, Demi Lovato’s pool party performance, Pink’s Vanguard Award performance and speech, Alessia Cara’s beautiful performance of “Scars to Your Beautiful” and Logic and Khalid’s performance of “1-800-273-8255.”
So…what did I miss on Insecure and GoT?
Photo by JEAN BAPTISTE LACROIX/AFP/Getty Images.