Like clockwork each year, once winter officially ends, I grow furious with my coats. I start to nervously unravel my sweaters. I begin to long for the frills and silks and tiny buttons of pretty dresses instead. Problem is, they always feel too sweet to wear on their own. It’s as though because the in-between season is complicated, I want my clothes to dress accordingly.
It’s not hot enough at the end of March or all through April to justify the simplicity of skirts and dresses. I have the same problem with frozen yogurt: In the summer, on the most humid of days, I can talk myself through the thought process of considering chocolate-vanilla-swirl to be a full meal. In the chilly parts of spring, however, when the weather still goes rogue and snows on an East Coast weekend, frozen yogurt doesn’t have the same appeal. It looks more like a headache than a brilliant culinary idea, so instead I compromise with smoothies rather than oatmeal for breakfast. It’s a necessary half-step.
All year round, the world of inspirational style tells us to “Wear a blazer with this miniskirt!” or “Pair a turtleneck with short-shorts!” — yet there’s only a blip on the calendar of appropriate weather to do this. At least in New York, you only get about 10 days total each year to wear light layers without freezing your butt all the way off or sweating into a puddle — so why not take full advantage of them?
Above and below are three spring-fever-dressing ideas to mentally absorb so that when the time comes for your body to sound the SKIRT SEASON alarm (but it’s not yet warm enough to pull the old “I just pulled this slip on” look off), you’ll be ready. Think of this like a pre-froyo season sartorial compromise.
A few things to keep in mind:
– Bermuda shorts as underpinnings stop sweet dresses from feeling too saccharine.
– Knee-high boots: Keep wearing them. You’ve only got a few more weeks before they start to make your shins sweat.
– Overcoats and rain slickers will take a French countryside combo from Aix-en-Provence wedding guest to formal subway attire in under two seconds. Do with that information what you will.
– It’s never too rainy for sunglasses.
– Still too cold for any of this? Invite your friends over for a tea party and lounge around indoors in dresses.